Wednesday, January 22, 2014

WHAT'S WRONG WITH A LITTLE SUPPORT?

WHAT'S WRONG WITH A LITTLE SUPPORT?
 
 


  Ever since I started my journey into the wonderful world of writing, I've been amazed at the some of the wonderful people I've met along the way. When I decided that I wanted to be serious about pursuing a writing career, it was the first time in my life that I seemed to actually meet likeminded people like myself. It was amazing to discover that I am not alone in the universe like I sometimes tend to think I am. I've even made some new friends. But with every rose, there are thorns. One of the things I'm noticing is that many times support in the writing world is not reciprocated.

   Maybe about a month or two ago I decided that I was going to tweet the links to books that were out or coming out by other authors I follow. Many of them are indie authors. So I thought a tweet doesn't hurt anyone. So I spent about half an hour finding the links to their books on Amazon and individually tagging the authors and tweeting their links. So a few said thank you. I appreciate that, but the only authors who returned the favor were authors I've already built a pretty good relationship with. I admit. I was a little pissed off.

    I feel like this, if I take the time out of my day to show support for your novel which many times I haven't even read yet, as a courtesy you should be willing to do the same for me. I re-tweet things all the time on Twitter. Much of the time it is other author's stuff. I have no problem showing support. It's much needed, especially because sometimes this writing journey can be a lonely one. So don't be stingy with the re-tweets. Even though you may not be a particular fan of another's work, maybe some of your followers will be. By a simple re-tweet you possibly could've helped a fellow author get a sell they may not have gotten.

   I have discovered some really great authors, just from someone else re-tweeting the links for their books. Among them @Eden_byNite @PerriForrest @KseniaAnske @EllisRomance. A re-tweet never hurt anyone. I firmly believe that if I'm not willing to embrace those that are out here on this path with me and help in anyway I know how I might not be so blessed with my own works, but that's just me.

   I know some will say that it's not their job to support another author. They have their own stuff to do. They're right. It's not your "job" to support another writer. But if you're strolling down your timeline and see something it's not going to kill you to re-tweet it. After all you're going to want someone else to show you that same courtesy. (Use discretion though. Nothing is more annoying than a stream of constant of re-tweets though.)

   So I hope I've given you something to ponder the next time you're scrolling through your timeline. Just remember The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.


No comments: