Monday, January 13, 2014

DREAM ACHIEVED, NOW WHAT?

DREAM ACHIEVED, NOW WHAT?
 
 



    Ever since I decided to listen to the calling in my heart to write, I have been pushing myself to accomplish two goals: Become a Published Author & Get an Agent. Well I've been blessed to reach both of these goals. In October 2013, Evernight Publishing released my debut novel, Goddess of Legend. And last Thursday, January 9, 2014 I signed with Holloway Literary Agency. Going forward my agency will be representing me as we seek the publication of my second novel, Siren's Choice.
 
 
    In a few short months I have realized two of my biggest dreams and I feel happy and blessed, but what happens now? I must confess I'm starting to have a little self doubt. My road to publication with my first novel was not easy and as the rejections came at times I felt like giving up. But eventually Goddess of Legend found a home and most of the people who have read it, have really enjoyed the story. I'm so grateful for that everyday. It means so much.
 
 
     Upon finishing Siren's Choice I was hopeful that the submission process would be easier this time around. It hasn't been. Before signing with Holloway I received three rejections of Siren's Choice. It stung and I started to doubt myself. Is my writing really good enough? These publishers don't want my book and I'm already published. Should I quit while I'm ahead? All these thoughts have crossed my mind. Signing with an agent has alleviated some of the doubts that have been plaguing me but a whole new set of worries has replaced them.
 
     Now that I have someone in my corner that believes in my vision and what I see for my writing career, I'm scared. What if this is the start of something big for me? Am I really ready for it? Will my subsequent works live up to my first novel? Honestly I'm a bundle of nerves right now. Soon I'm going to start working with my agent and making changes to Siren's Choice in preparation of submitting it to bigger publishers. But even now I wonder will these other publishers like my story? And if I'm successful in securing a publisher that can introduce me to a wider audience will these new readers like my work?
 
    As we speak I'm working on the second installment in my Demi-God Daughters series, Goddess By Chance and with every chapter I wonder will previous readers like this new characters? Or will they compare them to my previous characters and find them lacking? Because of the great reviews I received with my first novel, I don't want to let my readers down. I want to give them the best possible story I can and I want it to be as great as my first one or better. That's a lot of pressure for a first time author and I'd be remiss if I didn't admit that the pressure worries me.
 
   But now I must put things in perspective. I'm not alone in having this experience. People all over the world surely feel the same way after being published for the first time. And many of them made it through the sophomore jinx. I can too. I've been blessed to see the realization of a dream not everyone gets to see. And to honor that blessing all I can do is move forward and do my best.
 
 I will continue to learn my craft.
I will identify areas that need work and spend more time on them.
I will write the absolute best novel I can.
I will take advice.
I will always remember that I've accomplished my dream and appreciate it.
I will believe that with time and hard work I can be better.
 
   So now that I've shared with you some of my fears, what are some of your writer fears? And if so how do you deal with them?
 
    

No comments: