Sunday, May 21, 2023

Sample Sunday- "Trust" LETHALLY ENTANGLED

 

LETHALLY ENTANGLED

C.O.B.R.A. BOOK 1


“Stop being so damn defensive and listen to me. I don’t want anything to happen to you. I can’t go through that again.”

He grabbed my chin in his hands and stared deep into my eyes. I swallowed hard under the intensity of his gaze and blinked away the sudden tears that pricked at the corners of my eyes.

“I’m fine. A little banged up, but I’m fine.”

“No. You’re not. You’re a basket case over this shit with your mom and now someone is trying to take your ass out. You don’t have to pretend with me, Baby Girl.”

I jerked away from him. “I’m not some delicate little flower that is going to wither and die. I’m going to get to the bottom of all of this.”

He walked so close to me, that I could smell the scent of his cologne. Earthy and mysterious, it clouded my senses.

“No one is an island, Reese. You came to me about Angela. That means that somewhere deep inside, you know you can trust me. Let me on that island with you.”

“Don’t you think you’re being a little melodramatic? I. Came. To. You. Not Pierce. To you. This has nothing to do with trust.”

“That’s where you’re kidding yourself, Reesie. We’re so much alike you can’t even see it. We keep things on the surface. We don’t let people in, and we think we can handle everything on our own. Sometimes, you just can’t. It’s eating you up inside that you even need my help. Yeah, you came to me, but it was reluctantly.”

I pointed a finger at his chest. “You’re wrong. I came to you because you make me feel safe.”

Damn it. Why the fuck did I say that?

Jax’s eyes stretched wider before he reached for both my hands, taking them in his larger ones. Heat radiated from his palms or was that the heat of my embarrassment for saying something so damn mushy?

“I’m always going to keep you safe, Reesie. I swear on my life.”

The air between us was charged, as if electricity ran through it. There was a shift happening between us. I felt it and I knew when he did, too. His hands dropped mine and settled around my waist.

No.

This wasn’t about to happen.

Was it?

I rose on my tiptoes as he slowly lowered his head at the same time. I read the question in his eyes.

“Yes,” I whispered.

I pressed my lips to his and kissed him without reserve.

This was really happening.


Lethally Entangled coming soon!






No comments: