Tuesday, February 18, 2014

WRITING IS THERAPY

WRITING IS THERAPY
 


   It's been a while since I've written a new post, but life has a habit of getting in the way. After a few extremely tense weeks filled with running around for job interviews, a car accident, and preparing to move again I hope things are getting ready to settle down for a while. Meanwhile in the midst of all this craziness I've continued writing and I've discovered something all too terrible, while at the same time wonderful...writing is therapy.

   Yes I know you may think it's cliché or a bit weird but it's true. I'm currently working on my fourth novel and it has started to dawn on me that there are some recurring things that I'm starting to see. No I'm not talking about that fact I write happily Ever Afters in an effort to cope with a less than stellar love life. I'm talking about something deeper. Something I really didn't realize until I'd finished my third book a few months ago. But yeah. It's there. Staring back at me from past written pages and slowly forming new ones.

   To protect the innocent I won't tell you what the theme is outright, but I will say it's all about relationships and not the romantic type. I've been writing seriously since February 2012 and with each finished book I confront another issue that I've either locked away or didn't realize was bothering me. So to sum it all up, discovering the written word has been therapeutic for me. I'm able to express all my frustrations. All my fears. And all my hope and dreams in the confines of a world I'm in charge of.

    I'm glad that I decided to start writing. It has allowed me to confront some things and hopefully reach the point of being able to let go. So the next time you sit down with your laptop or pull out your trusty journal and write, just think for a moment. What are you really saying with every new sentence? And are you prepared to accept what you uncover?


No comments: